Saturday, April 13, 2013

Quelle Catastrophe!


Unfortunately, my father in law and I got a little over enthusiastic with the cat bothering device. 

However, a toy that is this much fun cannot be allowed to lie fallow. I shall have to replace the throwing arm somehow.  Hard wood might shatter, but soft wood is obviously too soft. I shall have to put my thinking cap on. 




"The bayonet is a wise man and the bullet is a fool"

I'll need some Russian line grenadiers for my Russian army and the Strelets chaps looked like a good choice. I have four units of these boys based up and awaiting a slap of PVA before being sprayed and painted. The Strelets set while nice, lacks NCOs, officers and musicians, which may prove a problem. I'll have to go through my bits box and see if there isn't something that might not benefit from a head swap. 



Plenty of stuff about the nuclear battlefield, sobering stuff

I picked this up in a second hand bookshop the other day and I'm finding it interesting reading. It's probably a bit early  for what I'm interested in ('79-'80) - but the basics are all there.  The section on patrolling is particularly good, I must say and I'm sure I don't smell a game in it somewhere. 





18 comments:

  1. What a shame about the cat baiting swingy thing

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest Ash as a hard shockproof wood. Wood of choice for spears and pikes(oh allright, and broom handles).

    Try googling Ash Dowelora local timber merchant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall give that a shot. I had been thinking brass rod maybe.

      Delete
  3. Shame about the catapult- I own an exceedingly robust little one an old school friend built (I use it as an impromptu step and I'm 18 stone) though I feel it is too powerful for use around cats- some sort of grown up version of 'Crossbows and Catapults' does suggest itself though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cats have learned that they need to stand somewhere near the catapult and watch for the fall of shot/food.

      Delete
  4. The mishap with your miniature catapult looks suspiciously like the work of Cousin Basil. He always did become somewhat overly exuberant with things like that, or so I've heard.

    Best Regards,

    Heinz-Ulrich von B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have faith that you'll have the catapult back in action before long! ;)

    Nice to find a 'fellow traveller' who likes Strelets figures. I like the animated, chunky style and they paint up really well, I reckon. Their Early French Carabiniers is one of my favourite sets. Look forward to seeing the finished, painted version.

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of like them despite myself - they just have a certain charm, particularly the Crimean sets. They are definitely a marmite type figure you either love them or hate them.

      Delete
  6. Oh no! What will Moggie do for entertainment now? Have you considered a non-wood medium like plastic or metal?

    PS parcel arrived last week. Sorry I've been tardy in acknowledging its arrival. Thanks kindly for all the extras!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your catapult should form part of a pair. One for the food, and another for the cat.

    I bet with a bit of practice, Flashman could take a flying kibble "on the wing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked that no-one's jumped on the obvious pun yet. Shocked, appalled, stunned, and a little hungry.

      Delete
  8. If you were Canadaianm I'd have just said "duct tape" but I think that's a bit of a national in joke. Perhaps it needs to be sturdier if you're going to fling cats about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What book shop has such treasures?

    ReplyDelete