Saturday, March 12, 2016

Egyptian Lancers - Progress of a sort.


Having done all the trimming necessary in my last post, I got to work with greenstuff. Each figures has had a wire lance added and a green stuff fez with tassel.  These were a bit awkward to do and looking at them now I've made them too big.  Getting the lances to stick was another trial, but they're pretty solid now. 




A quick blast of white spray later and it's time to get base coating.  While the size of the fezzes seems to stand out a mile to me, I'm sure at a distance of three feet they will be less of a concern. 

I shall reserve judgement until we see them with a lick of paint. 






12 comments:

  1. That is one of my beefs with greenstuff vs say Apoxie, it doesn't respond well to cutting and sanding when dry. Still I think they will look the part on the table. White uniforms or blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely hope so Ross. I think blue with white trousers, like your friends Scruby 40s. There seems to be little uniformity in the Egyptian ranks and the summer and winter uniforms seem to have been mixed and matched.

      Delete
  2. I hope no fingers were harmed in their creation!

    I guess they will look fine once painted. If they don't look as good as you want you might be able to trim the fezzes down, carefully, and then redo the tassels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None so far, thank God.

      We'll see how they look when they've had a lick of paint. I never cease to be surprised at the transformation that results.

      Delete
  3. I reckon they're already looking pretty good. Wouldn't worry about the size of the fez. Not knowing what the size 'ought' to be (for a given value of 'ought'), and I didn't until I looked further, one wouldn't know. Even with that knowledge, one would hardly notice. These will look good finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon the fez already look better under coated compared to bare green stuff, so I'm sure they'll be fine once painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your faith Preacher. We shall see.

      Delete
  5. They are looking quite splendid, but I am still confused:
    Are they Britains?
    Egyptians?
    Egypto-Britains?
    Crypto-Egypto-Britos?
    Please clarify.

    Fezzes are cool, if that hasn't been remarked on already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mounted Chav-ellahin Michael, do keep up.

      Fezzes are indeed cool.

      Delete