Tuesday, June 7, 2016

So I went to get the ironing...



...the other day and somehow ended up buying a sword. It was an absolute steel, so much so that I thought it was a replica of some description.  However, closer inspection has revealed that it appears to be a real sword.  It has an edge, a full tang and a fuller, which are usually absent from wall hangers.  There are no makers marks that I can see.  It appears to be a tulwar of some description. My money's on an Indian manufacturer, but I'm no expert.

It needs quite a bit of attention, but I shall look into seeing what can be done to clean it up a bit and perhaps restoring the edge to something like its full sharpness.





I also met this fine fellow while out and about. This picture simply does not do justice to how large this chap is. He was huge, his head was well over my hip.  Very friendly though and with a pleasantly wet nose.

20 comments:

  1. Very fine sword acquisition! Say, I see we have similar tastes in reading materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I am very pleased with it.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely superb, gives a whole new meaning to a knife edge crease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece! I'd love to get some close ups and seeing the restoration work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - not sure how to proceed - no doubt something will present itself.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure the sword was an astute purchase. And the dog is a delight. It's basically a really big version of Zoe, my little Lurcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very astute.

      The dog was a delight, very friendly for all his hugeness.

      Delete
  5. Great looking dog...deerhound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish wolfhound - one of the bigger breeds there are.

      Delete
  6. A sabre-like sword and a dog you can ride, sounds like cavalry time to me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking Irish Wolfhound.

    Nice bit of hardware, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Fortunately for my marriage I only brought one of them home.

      Delete
  9. Difficult to believe they were originally used as war hounds, and for hunting wolves.. every one I've ever met would rather slobber all over you than tear you to pieces... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! Are you trying to get out of doing those kinds of errands? ;)

    ReplyDelete